Thursday 25 April 2013

Beyond Eggs-pectations


Eggs without toast was one thing I had to get used to after going gluten free.  As a kid, I loved dipping toast in my yolks or making scrambled egg sandwiches. Now, egg whites are usually my go-to meal after I work out because they are so high in protein. I found it hard and boring to just eat plain eggs so I decided to get a bit creative. With the help of my equally health conscious roommmate (I swear we were meant to live together), we experimented day after day until we perfected our recipes.  

First success story:
Microwave Protein Muffins

Time: <5 minutes
Ingredients
½ cup egg whites
¼ quinoa flakes
tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
splash of water

Place all ingredients in a LARGE mug and whisk so everything is combined. Put a small plate on top of the mug so it doesn’t overflow. Microwave for 1.5 minutes first, then another 30 seconds or until firm. Flip the mug and voila! A healthy, protein-rich muffin! I like to drizzle maple syrup, honey or fruit on top to add a bit of sweetness. Total calories:135, Protein: 18g

 
Natural Protein Pancakes

Time:
<10 minutes
Ingredients
¾ cup egg whites
½ cup quinoa flakes
½ frozen banana
olive oil cooking spray
cinnamon (optional)
pure vanilla extract (optional)

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds. In a pan, heat 1 tsp (4 sprays) pure olive oil on medium heat. Pour pancake mix into the pan and let sit for about 2 minutes before flipping. The pancake should only need about 3 minutes total to cook all the way through. If you’re looking to make crepes, don’t use banana and your pancakes will be a lot thinner and easier to fold over into a crepe. I like to top them with a teaspoon of maple syrup, honey or fruit.
Total calories: 215, Protein: 25g

1 comment:

  1. Both recipes look great! Is the calorie count under the pancakes for ONE cake? I assume "yes", but I want to be sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete